The need for electricians is growing in the US, especially in New York City; hence, if you wish to secure one, go through this article.
It is a beautiful opportunity to gain employment as an electrician in a promising city like New York City, for there are attractive places for you to explore, and while at work, you can make a handsome salary.
Now proceed below to get an electrician job; read all the requirements for an electrician to work in New York and all relevant details.
Details On Electrician Licensing In New York City
In New York, electrical licensing requirements vary by jurisdiction, as there are no statewide regulations for electricians.
Some municipalities issue licenses through local licensing boards. For example, in New York City, electrical permits are issued by the Department of Buildings.
No license is required to perform electrical work in some parts of the state, like rural upstate New York.
Types Of Electrician Licenses In New York City
Candidates can get four electrician licenses before they are allowed to perform electrical duties in New York City.
1. Apprentice Electrician (high school students) requires a high school diploma (or equivalent) to apply in most states.
After about three to six years, you can apply for an apprenticeship under a licensed electrician.
2. Journey Man License – Once you complete your apprenticeship program and fulfill all requirements, you can take the test to become a journeyman electrician. You will receive your license from the local, state, or federal licensing group.
The NYC Department of Buildings issues the two mentioned below, and Obtaining a New York electrical license is a complex process.
To qualify, you must be at least 21 years old, read and write English, and be of good moral character.
3. Special Electrician License: A particular electrician can obtain construction permits to perform electrical work within New York City or perform electrical work under the employment of a building owner. Exceptional electricians often work in hospitals, hotels, schools, government agencies, etc.
4. Master Electrician License: This is the highest license. A master electrician can obtain construction permits to perform electrical work within New York City on any building.
Available Electrician Job In New York City
– New York Power Authority
The New York Power Authority is the official power authority in New York and the most significant state public power utility in the US.
It is well known that they have three electrician jobs for interested candidates to apply for, and they will be outlined below with their requirements.
1. Electrician ( Astoria, NY)
The summary of this job is to maintain the New York Power Authority’s SENY region low and medium-voltage electrical distribution systems and associated electrical systems following required safety protocols.
Possesses a strong understanding of electrical controls and schematics to test and troubleshoot complex electrical systems.
- Installs and monitors the performance of electrical equipment for hazards, adjustments, and replacement.
- Repairs, install, replace, and test electrical circuits using appropriate tools and testing instruments.
- Able to correctly fabricate and install conduits, electrical panels, pull wires, and test systems.
- Maintains low and medium-voltage switchgear and controls; may repair and maintain motor control centers and programmable logic controls.
- Troubleshoots, tests, and inspects complex electrical systems.
- Performs Protective Relay System maintenance.
- Ensures proper care in using and maintaining equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Reads, employs and updates electrical panel schedules, control drawings, and building schematics.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED; at least five years of experience directly related to specified duties and responsibilities.
- Certification: OSHA High Voltage Certificate or Equivalent; OSHA 30 Training required.
- NYC Journeyman Electrician license is preferred.
- NYC Master Electrician License is preferred.
- Knowledge of low and medium-voltage systems, equipment, substations, and primary power distribution.
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code, NFPA-70E, OSHA 10-30, and the National Electrical Safety Code.
- Ability to read industrial electrical blueprints and apply NEC, NFPA-70A, NESC, and OSHA 10-30 through the full range of industrial maintenance and construction work.
- Ability to use appropriate tools and diagnostic equipment to repair, install, replace, and test medium and low voltage electrical circuits and equipment.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to diagnose and repair electrical controls and industrial motor control centers.
2. Journeyperson Electrician (Lewiston, NY)
- Maintains, tests, installs, repairs, and removes electrical equipment under the jurisdiction of the Niagara Project.
- This work may occur in various locations, including generating plants, switchyards, river intakes, and municipal electric stations.
- Switchyard responsibilities include overhead equipment and structures, underground distribution lines, and lighting for the station, switchyard, and roadways.
- Uses electrical test instruments to perform routine testing and troubleshooting as necessary.
- Must have five years of experience at the Journeyperson level.
- Experience in the power industry is preferred.
- Must have completed a certified apprenticeship.
- Must have a working knowledge of running wire through conduit and performing breaker preventative and corrective maintenance.
- Knowledge of installing, repairing, and operating building electrical and emergency power generation systems.
- Knowledge of operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining electrical systems of various applications.
- Knowledge of safety procedures for the installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical systems
- Knowledge of safety precautions when operating motorized vehicles, equipment, and hand tools
- Knowledge of the operation and programming of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Knowledge of local and national regulatory electrical codes and requirements.
3. Assistant System Operator ( Marcy, NY)
- Monitor and ensure all NYPA generation is scheduled according to posted bids and NYISO basepoints.
- Coordinate Out of Merits, project de-rates, limitations, and testing of NYPA generation with NYISO and applicable transmission Owners.
- Monitor the NYISO MIS every 15 min to coordinate All NYPA Generation starts and stops.
- Ensure metering accuracy from after-the-fact meters, which are collected at the ECC and sent to the NYISO, NRCC, etc.
- Review daily outage reports related to transmission outages and assist with documentation of in-day outages using PTR+.
- Check generator DAM bids against scheduled outages and testing.
- Log system events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of power system generation and transmission concepts.
- Ability to complete NYISO System Operator Training.
- Good written & oral communication skills.
- Ability to use 3-Part communication.
- Working knowledge of Office programs for PC (Word/Excel etc.).
- Ability to learn/use Energy Management System.
- Ability to learn higher-level control room tasks.
Education, Experience, and Certifications
- AAS degree in Electrical Technology or equivalent science/technology field.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or the equivalent science/technology field preferred.
- Control Room Experience working as an Operator.
- Utility/Power plant experience working in operation/maintenance, high voltage electrician, instrument controls technician, etc.
- Military technical or nuclear training.
- Experience with rotating Shift work.
- Ability to sit for long periods (up to 12 hours) in front of computer monitors while maintaining situational awareness
- Communicate effectively while speaking English (per NERC requirement)
- See, hear and react to alarms
- Approximately 10% travel primarily within NY State.
How To Apply
Use the link below to apply for one of the exciting positions and create an account once directed on the apply now button given on their official website.
Electrician Salary In New York City
Conclusion On Electrician Jobs In New York City 2023/2024From the above list of New York City’s Electrician jobs, you can check it out and use the application link to apply for the available job you wish to get.
Also, don’t forget to bookmark our website Aimglo, as we continue to provide you with the best School and Job Offer just like Electrician Jobs In New York City 2023/2024 , with all Articles posted on our Aimglo being Accurate and free from Misinformation.