The American University Scholarship for international students is currently ongoing for the academic session of 2023/2024 for interested international students to apply for.
This is an outstanding opportunity for those who wish to secure financial aid while furthering their studies in an outstanding university like the American University.
All details and information regarding the prestigious school, different types of scholarships, the acceptance rate for international students, and their ranking will be addressed here in this post.
Hence, if you are searching for a scholarship, you can consider the American University Scholarships, specifically designed for international students.
About American University
American University is a student-centered research institution located in Washington, DC, with highly-ranked schools and colleges, internationally-renowned faculty, and a reputation for creating meaningful change in the world.
American University has eight schools and colleges: the School of International Service, College of Arts and Sciences, Kogod School of Business, School of Communication, School of Professional and Extended Studies, School of Public Affairs, School of Education, and the Washington College of Law (WCL).
It has over 160 programs, including 71 bachelor’s degrees, 87 master’s degrees, and ten doctoral degrees, as well as JD, LLM, and SJD programs.
The American University’s student body numbers over 13,000 and represents all 50 U.S. states and 141 countries; around a fifth of students are international. It is classified among “R2: Doctoral Universities – High research activity”.
Ranks Of The American University
Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence, and below shows the ranking of the American University
- #72 in National Universities
- #41 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #36 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #86 in Best Value Schools
- #30 in Most Innovative Schools
- #209 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #8 in International Business
- #7 in Study Abroad
- #17 in Service Learning
- #12 in First-Year Experiences
The Acceptance Rate For International Students
The general acceptance rate for international students who meet up with all the requirements and academic criteria, then it is 38.7%.
Details On The American University Scholarships For International Students
AU is fortunate to have several annual and endowed scholarships that generous donors fund. Scholarships vary by school and may be based on merit, academic program, need, or other factors as designated by the donor.
Types Of American University Scholarships For International Students
There are different types of American universities for international students to apply, and they will all be highlighted below for you to apply for.
1. Merit Awards for International 1st-Year Students
American University’s merit awards for international students are partial, not full, scholarships. They are awarded based on a combination of outstanding academic achievement, excellent communication skills in English, leadership, volunteerism, and community service.
Merit award consideration is highly competitive, and the number of scholarships available is limited. All American University merit awards are awarded at the time of admission and not after enrollment.
These funds are renewable for all four years of study based on successful continued academic performance.
2. AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision.
The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States.
The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
Important: Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2023. You may be eligible for partial merit scholarships if you are not selected as the 2023 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process.
However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2023-2024 academic year are U.S.$73,802.
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated from secondary school earlier than 2021. AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2023. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2023.
Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2023.
Very Important: The AU EGLS selection process is the most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common Application, and international admissions document submission process by December 15, 2023.
Apply for the fall (August) semester, not spring. The fall application deadline is January 15.
3. Graduate Students
Merit Awards Talented international master’s and doctoral students may qualify for Graduate Merit Awards through their departments.
These awards offer waivers ranging from twelve credits to full tuition each year. Stipends may also be available. Applicants should check directly with departments for further information.
How to Apply
All graduate school applicants can indicate their interest in Merit Assistance when they apply to one of the graduate programs.
When to Apply
The priority deadline for university-wide merit awards is February 1 for fall applicants. Some academic departments continue to consider merit award applicants until late Spring; however, applicants are encouraged to apply by February 1.
How To Apply
- As you apply for a scholarship program, submit all essential documents, such as a cover letter and your academic transcript.
- Before you apply, check your country’s opening and closing dates, and select your country of citizenship/residency.
- See also the participating countries eligible for the scholarships before applying.
- Keep also in mind that you may have an interview in some cases.
- Complete your scholarship application before the due date arrives to be on the safer side.
- Be extremely careful when filling out the form so as not to make errors.
- Check your emails regularly to be updated on the outcome.
Conclusion On the American University Scholarships 2023/2024If you want to study at American University University through the scholarships above, go for it and start preparing now!
Also, don’t forget to bookmark our website Aimglo, as we continue to provide you with the best School and Scholarships Offers just like American University Scholarships 2023/2024, with all Articles posted on our Aimglo being Accurate and free from Misinformatio